Sunday, April 29, 2018

Talking About Translations - 29 April 2018

So I figured I talk a little bit about how I translate. For context - for someone who took it upon himself to translate a whole show, my Japanese is pretty bad. I decided to do this because I wanted to try and improve my Japanese through the project.

There really isn't a 100% correct way to translate something, different people have different ways of translating something. As someone who watches subs of Kamen Rider, I am well aware of that fact, lol.

For today, let's go through the first two lines of the opening. Please forgive me if I misuse some of the terms - again, my Japanese is actually really bad.


あなたに会うと いつだってring my bellなぜか
早口になってる 自分に気付いちゃう

There's little issue with the first line - あなたに会う (anata ni au) (Meeting you), と (to)(connecting particle), いつだって (itsudatte) (always), ring my bell, なぜか (nazeka) (for some reason, somehow).

So, "Meeting you always rings my bell, for some reason."

I have seen it translated as "Why is it that you always ring my bell whenever I meet you?"

The Chinese subs that I have translated the line as "I don't know when meeting you started to ring my bell."

As you can probably see, all the context is there in all the translations, but the alternate translation phrased it as a question, and the Chinese translation rearranged the translation to flow better in Chinese (Chinese translations, from what I see, choose to sacrifice literal translations to sound more poetic in their language). I chose to translate the line literally.

For the next line, I saw it in two parts - "早口になってる" (hayaguchi ni natteru) (I started talking quickly) and "自分に気付いちゃうの" (jibun ni kiduichauno) (I realized/notice it myself). I guess I auto-added the context as "It's not just you, I realized it myself (too)" and translated the line accordingly, "I started talking quickly, I realize it too."

Another thing with translation is puns and rhymes. Man, puns and rhymes are hard to translate over. But that is a conversation for another time.



A gentle reminder that we're on Ko-Fi right now to raise funds for server space to host the releases. Every contribution helps, so thank you very much if you choose to do so!!

As always, you can send in feedback or any translation errors to miracletunessubs@gmail.com!

No comments:

Post a Comment